1. As any fan of Gilmore Girls knows, Emily and Lorelai Gilmore have a very… tumultuous mother-daughter relationship.
2. They know exactly how to push each other’s buttons.
3. And while Emily and Lorelai’s volatile relationship has always been one of the best and most relatable aspects of the show, shit got really real in the recently-released Netflix revival, Gilmore Girls: A Year in the Life.
4. It all starts at a post-funeral reception for Richard when Emily asks a drunk and grief-stricken Lorelai to share a fond memory of her father. Lorelai, of course, struggles to muster one up.
She babbles on a bit more, but you get the idea.
6. In their most brutal argument ever, Emily delivers a blistering takedown of Lorelai, who can barely get a word in.
7. It’s harsh, but it’s pretty fucking epic, considering Lorelai really is kind of the worst.
“I asked you for a story. ‘Oh, there was a time when dad bought me a doll. I loved this doll.’ Something like that,” Emily says. “‘Oh, I remember when he took me to the park…the zoo…the store. The club. Kathmandu.’ I don’t give a damn where he took you! All I wanted was a fond anecdote from his only daughter, and what I got was a rambling diatribe on being abandoned in a steamer trunk.
“You have nothing but contempt for this family. What did we ever do to you that filled you with such contempt? Love you? Support you? Love Rory? Support Rory?”
8. Emily goes on to call out Lorelai for her self-absorption and stubbornness.
“You blow through life like a natural disaster, knocking down everything and everyone in your path. I wonder if Luke knew what he was getting into with you. Did you ever even ask him what he wanted, where he wanted to live, if he wanted children?”