1. On Feb. 14, the New York Times reported that some Trump campaign members were in constant contact with Russian intelligence officials prior to the 2016 election, per intercepted calls and phone records.
Intercepted calls show Trump campaign members had repeated contact with Russian intelligence before the election https://t.co/601WwxujBu
— The New York Times (@nytimes)
The information came less than a day after President Trump’s now-former national security advisor, Gen. Mike Flynn, resigned after speaking with a Russian official regarding sanctions and then subsequently misled Vice President Mike Pence about those talks.
2. Earlier this morning, President Trump took to Twitter to dispel the information, calling it a “conspiracy” by “fake news media.”
The fake news media is going crazy with their conspiracy theories and blind hatred. @MSNBC & @CNN are unwatchable. @foxandfriends is great!
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump)
3. The president also tweeted that the news was an “attempt to cover-up the many mistakes made in Hillary Clinton’s losing campaign.”
This Russian connection non-sense is merely an attempt to cover-up the many mistakes made in Hillary Clinton’s losing campaign.
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump)
4. As it usually goes with situations like these, Twitter users flipped the heavy news on its head. That’s when #TrumpImpeachmentParty started trending.
this is so me – when I arrived at #TrumpImpeachmentParty
— GEEZY (@GRYKING)
It should be noted that the hashtag has trended before, but to a lesser extent. After last night’s news broke, it went really viral.
5. People tweeted about “getting ready” for said hypothetical party.
me getting ready for the #TrumpImpeachmentParty
— David (@DiscreetLatino)
6. Many also joked about how they’d arrive with their squad.
Live footage of me and the homies walking into the #TrumpImpeachmentParty
— Miss Nona (@RedBeKnowing)
7. It’s not a party if you haven’t properly pre-gamed.
Gotta pregame before I head out to the #TrumpImpeachmentParty
— #LetMyPeopleGLO ⚡️ (@MichellCClark)
8. Of course, there’d be that one person who’d arrive lookin’ for the snacks.
Walking into the #TrumpImpeachmentParty with refreshments like
— Matthew A. Cherry (@MatthewACherry)
9. People assembled their ~fire~ outfits for the make-believe gathering…
i’m here #TrumpImpeachmentParty
— Freddy Verdejo (@freddyvr)
10. …and tweeted about anthems they would play.
We already have the anthem for the #TrumpImpeachmentParty 🎤🎶
— Mr. Jameson Neat (@MrJamesonNeat)
11. Zedd even volunteered to DJ.
@realDonaldTrump do u still need a DJ for your #TrumpImpeachmentParty ?
— Zedd (@Zedd)
12. Like at any party, there would be dancing…
I’m going to dance into the #TrumpImpeachmentParty like this
— Mrs. T. D. Drakes (@tsddrake)
13. …presumably until the wee hours of the morning.
Dancing till sunrise at the #TrumpImpeachmentParty
— Ira Madison III (@ira)
14. Others brought former Vice President Joe Biden into the mix…
Joe Biden just pulled up 🔥 #TrumpImpeachmentParty
— mao (online ) (@MaoGreens)
15. …as well as Counselor to the President, Kellyanne Conway.
Kellyanne Conway avoiding questions about #TrumpImpeachmentParty
— Sue of Cidyll (@KillAbreu)
16. Some brought a little reverse psychology to the get-together.
You can’t impeach him if he’s Not your President 😂
— Rubina kaur (@rubinakaur14)
17. People also couldn’t help but joke about how the president might react to the trend.
When Trump saw #TrumpImpeachmentParty trending on Twitter.
— Knockbump (@knockbump)
18. And yes, Vice President Pence had a few mentions too.
When the #TrumpImpeachmentParty is lit but you’re just in the corner thinking about Mike Pence like
— Laura Greene (@lgreene91)
19. And just like a party in real life, sometimes it can reach capacity before you’ve had a chance to get in on the fun.
Republicans showing up to #TrumpImpeachmentParty
— Sarah Cooper (@sarahcpr)