2. Obviously, it was an unfortunate situation. La La Land producer Jordan Horowitz — who spoke first on behalf of the film when the crew still believed the film was the Best Picture winner — handled it with grace.
3. But upon examining the moment again (and again and again, since it’s almost too insane to believe), another producer, Fred Berger, appears to have handled the situation very differently.
Just watch the #Oscars producers tell the #LaLaLand crew that a mistake was made. Watch it creep through the backgr… https://t.co/6alJYNKRPu
— Enda Conway (@EndaConway)
4. Watch Berger and Horowitz start to notice something was amiss while co-producer Marc Platt made his speech.
6. And another appears to have shown Horowitz and Berger the correct envelope, which indicates Moonlight (and not La La Land) was actually Best Picture.
8. When Platt finished his speech — totally unaware of what’s transpired behind him — he indicated to Berger to take the mic.
9. And he reluctantly obliged, taking the opportunity to thank some people.
10. As Warren Beatty approaches the mic to explain the mishap, Berger leans in one last time and says, “We lost by the way. But, you know…”
11. It was a moment that will go down in Oscars history. Some people were impressed by Berger’s commitment to finishing his speech.
Also, that third producer who knew La La Land lost but gave an acceptance speech anyway: shoot your shot.
— Jed DeMuesy (@Local12Jed)
My favorite moment was actually the La La Land producer who still gave his speech the moment after he heard they had actually lost
— Laura Hockridge (@Laurasenio)
Shout out to the producer of la la land who already knew he lost but saw the mic and went for his speech anyways.
— SAFDIE (@JOSH_BENNY)
Gotta respect the La La Land guy who finished his speech by saying, “We lost by the way … but, ya know”
— Kevin Hageland (@OThankKevin)
15. While others were less than enthused.
at first i was thinking the la la land people handled that so well and then i watch it a second time and noticed the ‘we lost by the way’
— Cassie Aylward (@eissacaylward)
shame to that la la land producer that was told moonlight actually won, continued to give his speech and ended with “we lost by the way.”
— Vee (@vee_xvi)
Nah, but who was the guy from La La Land that said “we lost by the way, but, you know” and just walked away? Incredibly unprofessional.
— brianna (@nyclieber)
La La Land boys are SO salty right now. “We lost, by the way, so yeah.” might be the cringes thing I’ve seen in a while.
— Paco (@CaptainHammer8)
19. And of course, they had jokes.
The La La Land producer who found out they lost and gave his speech anyway will be the 46th President of the United States. #Oscars
— Michael Hartney (@MichaelHartney)
“We lost by the way”
The rest of La La Land cast:
— #UglyButHeartBigBae (@RobIsRandomAF_6)
21. No matter which way you slice it, it’s certainly ~*something*~.
Gonna watch the La La Land guy say “We lost by the way” a million more times tonight
— Justin Leger (@_JustinLeger)
BuzzFeed News has tried to get in touch with Berger for comment. A representative for Lionsgate did not immediately respond.