2. On Thursday morning, the singer released a statement about her decision. “My heart is broken for our country, for the hopes of our children, for the fights of those who came before us,” she wrote. The statement goes on to quote Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
https://t.co/lvG5EhBe6r | An Open Letter
— chrisette michele (@ChrisetteM)
3. Here’s her full statement:
We Can’t Be Present If We’re Silent
“My heart is broken for our country, for the hopes of our children, for the fights of those who came before us.
I cry at the thought that Black History, American History might be in vain.
This country has had great moments. God has shined His light upon us.
Today, I hope that Great Moments begin in peaceful & progressive conversation. I am willing to be a bridge. I don’t mind These Stones, if they allow me to be a voice for the voiceless.
I am here.
Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. once said, ‘Our lives begin to end, the day we become silent about what matters.’
I am here, representing you, because this is what matters.”
4. Some people have criticized Michele’s decision.
chrisette michele need to cash her check and quit the activist bullshit. just say you needed the paper. you getting fried either way.
— Shyne Coldchain Jr. (@Smooth_Orator)
[email protected], singing at Trump’s inauguration will not push Trump to suddenly value black people. He’s chosen a sta… https://t.co/4aZJSXMRr2
— deray mckesson (@deray)
Chrisette Michele after she seen that check for Donald Trump’s Inauguration concert. 💵
— NUFF$AID (@nuffsaidNY)
And then it comes to me like an epiphany…
— Chima Simone (@ChimaSimone)
8. The Roots’ Questlove even tweeted that he would pay her to not perform.
I’d pay Chrisette to NOT perform 😔
— Questlove Gomez (@questlove)
9. Rapper Talib Kweli jumped in, saying he’d chip in, too.
Hey @questlove @ChrisetteM I got 5 on it. https://t.co/WZXsdD31Fi
— Talib Kweli Greene (@TalibKweli)
BuzzFeed News has reached out to Chrisette Michele’s representative for a further comment.