1. In an interview with BBC Radio 4’s Front Row, the director of the live-action Beauty and the Beast said his film features the first and second interracial kiss in a Disney film.
Audra McDonald’s character, Madame de Garderobe, and Stanley Tucci’s character, Cadenza, kiss — as do Gugu Mbatha-Raw’s Plumette and Ewan McGregor’s Lumière.
BBC quoted director Bill Condon saying, “I didn’t give it a second thought, then at the preview, the [Disney] chairman told me that it was the first and second interracial kiss in a Disney movie.”
2. The story was picked up by other news outlets March 3, including Teen Vogue, Cosmopolitan, and Glamour.
3. But ah, memory is short: The woefully overlooked 2002 Cuba Gooding Jr. film Snow Dogs is a live-action Disney movie that features an interracial kiss.
In the classic fish-out-of-water story, Academy Award–winning actor Cuba Gooding Jr. plays a dentist who, for reasons I could not remember until I looked them up on Wikipedia, enters a dogsledding race. Lo and behold, his love interest in the film is played by Joanna Bacalso, who is Filipina.
4. Are there other interracial kisses in live-action Disney movies? My co-worker said High School Musical 3: Senior Year features at least one (see below) and also that it came out in theaters — I had no idea about either! Please tell us if there are others in the comments!
5. For now, enjoy this screenshot of a (surprisingly hot?) kiss between Cuba Gooding Jr. and Joanna Bacalso.
BuzzFeed News reached out to Disney for a comment from Condon and the studio about the mix-up.