The FBI has concluded its investigation into child abuse allegations against Brad Pitt, a source claimed to Access Hollywood.
A source familiar with the situation told Access that the bureau’s inquiry is complete, and a findings report is expected soon.
The investigation launched following an alleged altercation between Brad and his 15-year-old son, Maddox, aboard a private plane last month.
Contrary to reports that the bureau had extended its investigation, the source said that it had just taken longer than expected due to federal jurisdiction.
The bureau was alerted to the case through a Los Angeles Police Department detective, another source claimed, after the Los Angeles Department of Children and Family Services reached out to the LAPD regarding Brad and Maddox’s alleged mid-flight confrontation.
In addition to “gathering” and “marshaling” evidence to determine any probable cause, the second source said that bureau investigators also interviewed Brad’s estranged wife, Angelina Jolie, and some of their six children at their Malibu home last week.
According to the source, the FBI is looking specifically into misdemeanor assault under Federal U.S. Code 18 Section 113, which pertains to maritime and territorial jurisdiction. According to Subsection (a)(4) of the code, potential punishment for assault includes a fine and/or imprisonment for not more than one year.
Subsection (a)(5) states that for simple assault, if the alleged victim is under 16 years of age, maximum punishment goes up from not more than six months to not more than one year of imprisonment. Maddox turned 15 in August.
If sufficient evidence is found, a Probable Cause statement will be filed to the U.S. Attorney’s office, who will choose whether or not to prosecute, the source said.
Brad has not been mandated to answer Angelina’s divorce petition filed on Sept. 19, the first source claimed, adding that there are currently no new plans for him to see the kids since his most recent visit last week.
While the FBI investigation has concluded, the source told Access that the DCFS is continuing its probe despite an original Oct. 20 deadline.
As previously reported, a third source claimed that the DCFS investigation is not “just looking into one situation,” but a potential history.
Access Hollywood has reached out to Brad and Angie’s reps for comment. The FBI did not respond to a request for comment when contacted by Access on Thursday.
— Erin Biglow