It’s Cinco de Mayo, and there’s no better way to celebrate than over great food with family and friends.
You’ve seen Danny Trejo in an endless list of TV shows and films over the last 30 years but, off screen, Danny owns Trejo’s Tacos.
He shares a couple of their best dishes with us.
Carnitas with Grilled Pineapple (Courtesy of Danny Trejo)
Braised Pork Shoulder Carnitas & Grilled Pineapple Taco
- 1 Bone-Out Pork Shoulder
- 4 cups Water
- 2 cups Orange Juice
- 2 cups Lime Juice
- 1/4 cup Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1/2 cup Garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup Kosher Salt
- 3 Tbsp Ground Pepper
- 8 cups Chicken Stock
- Grilled Pineapple, diced
- Hot Sauce
- Red Onions, minced
- Cilantro for garnish
- Corn Tortillas, warmed
For the Pork:
1. Cut pork into big chunks season with salt and pepper and sear in a stainless steel pan.
2. Remove pork and deglaze with garlic and water.
3. In a deep oven safe tray add orange juice, lime juice, apple cider vinegar. Add pork, and chicken stock.
4. Cover with foil and braise in 350 degree oven for 3-4 hours until tender.
5. Shred pork.
Grilled Jidori Chicken bowl (Courtesy of Danny Trejo)
Grilled Jidori Chicken Bowl
- Chicken thighs, diced (preferably Jidori)
- Spanish Rice
- Chopped Romaine Lettuce
- Green Salsa
- Grilled Corn
- Pico de Gallo
- 1 Red Onion, small dice
- 3 cloves Garlic, minced
- 2 tsp Dried, Ground Oregano
- 2 tsp Ground Cumin
- 2 tsp Paprika
- 1 block Achiote
- 1/4 cup 50-50 Olive Oil
- 1/4 cup White Vinegar
For the Chicken marinade:
1. In a large saucepan, add some oil and sauté onion and garlic until fragrant and translucent.
2. Add spices, and sauté to make a paste.
3. Deglaze with juices and vinegar and bring to a gentle boil.
4. Add achiote and whisk to combine until smooth. Cook for 10 min.
5. Blend the sauce with an emersion blender and strain if necessary.
6. Marinate Chicken.
For the bowl
1. Heat oil in a skillet and cook marinated chicken.
2. In a bowl place rice, lettuce, pico de gallo, corn, beans, and cooked chicken.
Top with Green Salsa